California Council on Diesel Education and Technology
Many of the community colleges offering CCDET Classes are not currently offering in-person classes due the meeting restrictions put in place to combat COVID-19. We have begun to schedule CCDET Classes using Zoom virtual meeting software. Consult the schedule below for details on virtual class offerings. Note that virtual classes have special technology requirements.
Check with your CCDET college for specifics on cancelled or rescheduled classes. We will update the schedule on this page as we receive information from the colleges.
Check with your CCDET College for specifics on refunds, rescheduling, etc.
CCDET I: HDVIP / PSIP & SAE J1667 - Smoke Testing (On-road Vehicles)
Heavy Duty Vehicle Inspection Program / Periodic Smoke Inspection Program &
SAE J1667 Snap Acceleration Procedure
You need CCDET I if you perform:
- Periodic smoke inspections
- SAE J1667 Snap Idle Test
A one-day course for smoke-testers, and fleet managers or owners covering basic smoke emissions troubleshooting and repair, current emissions regulations, hands-on training on the correct administration of the SAE J1667 Snap Acceleration Smoke Test Procedures for Heavy-Duty Diesel-Powered Vehicles, and the importance of service and maintenance.
CCDET III: Smoke-testing Cargo Handling Equipment
You need CCDET III if you perform:
- Periodic smoke inspections on Cargo Handling Equipment at ports or intermodal rail yards
This 4-hour course covers implementing opacity testing for Cargo Handling Equipment (CHE). It includes smoke test regulations, requirements, and standards as they apply to CHE, SAE J1667 Snap-Acceleration Test procedures with specific variations for CHE. The course includes both classroom and hands-on components.
You need this course if:
- You want to be certified in both on-road vehicles & Cargo Handling Equipment
- You'd like to pay a discounted rate of $250 ($50 savings: CCDET I $175 + CCDET III $125 = $300)
Some CCET Colleges offer the CCDET I & III courses on the same day. Participants pay a discounted price over the individual pricing, and will be able to test and receive certification for smoke-testing both on-road vehicles and cargo handling equipment. This is ideal for smoke-testers for-hire who might be called upon to work on a variety of equipment for clients.
The class includes hands-on instruction in performing the SAE J1667 Snap Acceleration Smoke Test Procedure and instruction on the applicable on-road vehicle and cargo handing equipment regulations.
Diesel Exhaust After-treatment & Maintenance (D.E.A.M)
You need this class if you work on:
- Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) or
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
CCDET II is a one-day course that discusses current diesel exhaust after-treatment technology including diesel particulate filters (DPF) and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems as well as hands-on shop exercises designed to reinforce service and preventative maintenance procedures.
Virtual – Live Online
Important!: Live Online Classes have special technology requirements. Please only register for a live online class if you:
- Have access to a smoke meter at your location to perform the hands-on lab
- Meet the other technology requirements outlined in this linked document.
CCDET I + CCDET III Same Day
CCDET I: HDVIP / PSIP
July 25, 2020 (Sat)
8 am – 4:30 pm
CCDET II: Diesel After-treatment
CCDET III: Smoke Testing CHE
American River College | Mather Center, 10150 Missile Way, Mather, CA 95655
San Franciso Bay Area
College of Alameda | Diesel Technology Bldg., 555 Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway, Alemeda, CA 94501
San Joaquin Delta College | Diesel Technology Building, Shima Center, 5151 Pacific Avenue, Stockton, CA 95207
Friday: 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Jan 24, 2020
- Feb 7, 2020
- March 6, 2020
- May 8, 2020
- August 28, 2020
- September 25, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- December 11, 2020
Friday: 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
- January 31, 2020
- February 28, 2020
- September 18, 2020
- October 16, 2020
Friday: 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- February 7, 2020
Los Angeles Trade-Tech College | 400 West Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015
CCDET I via Zoom:
Because California is under the Safe at Home social distancing guidelines, and California Community Colleges are providing instruction exclusively online, the April 23, 2020 CCDET I class will be taught live, online via the Zoom conferencing app.
Because the class will still include hands-on instruction, students who enroll must have access to a smoke meter, and be prepared to demonstrate their ability to properly perform an SAE J1667 Snap Acceleration Test. The full list of requirements is included below. Please only enroll in April 23, 2020 session of CCDET I at LA Trade Tech College if you are willing and able to complete the course via Zoom.
- Smoke Meter: Student must have access to an opacity meter to use during the
- Camera / Broadcast Device: Student must have access to smartphone, tablet, or other device that will allow the instructor to observe them as they conduct an opacity test with their own meter
- Zoom & Connection: Student must have the ability to transmit video to a Zoom meeting during the hands-on assessment
- Zoom Downloaded: Student should download the zoom application for their laptop, smart phone, or other device
- Zoom Functioning and Ready Prior: If using a computer for the lecture portion of the class and a portable device for the hands-on, student should have the zoom app installed on BOTH and functioning
- Switch from front to Rear Camera as Needed (Optional): Student or person holding the device for the student should be able to switch between front facing and rear-facing cameras, or point the single camera in a way that the relevant parts of the vehicle are visible (stack or pile, wheels, etc.)
- Two-way Communication: Device must be capable of two-way communication with the instructor.
- Identity: Identify self on video
- Vehicle Info: Know the engine make and model year of the vehicle to be tested. If using a personal vehicle for simulation, interpret the results as if a fleet vehicle were being tested
CCDET III: CHE
8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- April 3, 2020 (Fri) – Cancelled
- ⇐May 29 See I + III combo
- June 24, 2020 (Wed)
- ⇐July 12, 2020 See I + III combo
- August 6, 2020 (Thur)
- ⇐Sept 18, 2020 See I + III combo
- October 16, 2020 (Fri)
- ⇐Nov 20, 2020 See I + III combo
- December 11, 2020 (Fri)
Palomar College | 1140 West Mission Road, San Marcos, CA 92069
CCDET I (HDVIP / PSIP)
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- February 21, 2020 (Fri.)
- March 9, 2020 (Mon.)
- April 13, 2020 (Mon.)
- May 11, 2020 (Mon.)
CCDET II (D.E.A.M.)
8:00 am to 5:00 PM
- February 26, 2020 (Wed.)
- March 11, 2020 (Wed.)
- April 15, 2020 (Wed.)
- May 13, 2020 (Wed.)
12:00 pm to 4:00 PM
- February 19, 2020 (Wed.)
- February 24, 2020 (Mon.)